Friday, January 2, 2009

02. On Anonymity

Leighann isn’t my name, and neither is Lawrence. I stole Leighann from a friend I was once cruel to, and Lawrence belongs to the boy I first kissed. Together, the name sounds like it could be mine, and I like it as much. I missed the anonymity that this name gave me, and so I will be writing as Leighann here.


That said, everything I say here is true save for names and locations. This blog exists for me to write about my life, my work and my goals. I have quite a bit of baggage to rummage through, and I intend to use this blog to help me sort it out.


I am sure the technologically advanced among you will be able to track down my identity or city, but I ask that you respect my privacy. In “real” life, I am a professional who works for a fairly well-known company. My coworkers, and even many of my friends, are not aware of my rape or my less-than-flattering history. While I have been fortunate to meet many people who have supported me despite my past, or because of it, I speak from first-hand experience when I say not all the world is so understanding.


In some ways, I am a coward, but it is my decision to be a coward. It is important to me that I retain control over my story and my experiences, and it is important that you know me as Leighann.


I apologize for any confusion I may cause to the real Leighann Lawrences out there.

2 comments:

  1. ooh its cool. since u didn't have a pic, I just assumed it was anonymous. gotta catch up on ur past blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bombchell: Thanks! I thought most people would be cool with it, but I have had people attempt to track down my other accounts through email, google, or other methods. It really hit home when someone managed to find another blog of mine using only my email address, which I had never displayed on that blog, and wrote to me about entries there. Doing this again, I wanted to make my position clear.

    ReplyDelete